Not only are do-it-yourself exfoliators cheaper than store bought ones, but they are also free of harmful ingredients that are regularly found in exfoliators. Polyethylene, also referred to as PEGS, makes up the small plastic beads that are found in face scrubs and body washes. Polyethylene is contaminated with a chemical that is considered a carcinogen by the United States Government. These small beads also end up in sewage systems causing them to pollute the oceans. In order to avoid this ingredient, use the following items to exfoliate pesky dry skin.
- Oatmeal – Not only is oatmeal soothing for the skin, but it also acts as a natural exfoliator. Because oatmeal has soothing properties, it makes it very gentle on all skin types. Simply put whole oats in a food processor and mix with a small amount of water for best application.
- Coffee – Coffee not only wakes up your skin, but it also acts as a gentle exfoliator when mixed with a small amount of oil. Some great oils to use on skin are Argan oil and avocado oil.
- Almonds – Similar to oatmeal, when almonds are ground up, they work as an exfoliator. Simply mix the almond powder with a little water and apply to the skin.
- Sugar – Because sugar already has the consistency of a store-bought exfoliator, no food processor is necessary. The granulated sugar can be added to your favorite face oil or serum and spread on the face.
- Apple cider vinegar – Although it may not appear to work as an exfoliator, apple cider vinegar has natural acids in it that help to eliminate dead skin cells. Simply put some on a cotton ball and apply to all areas of the face.
If you have any questions about exfoliating your skin, please call Avalanche Salon and Spa today at 610-489-2049.